- Has a good influence on the levels of cholesterol
- A natural product with no side effects
- The active ingredient is policosanol - natural product, derived from the molasses of sugar cane.
- No harmful side effects.
- Does not affect the functions of the liver.
- Can be used together with statins.
Everybody knows that high cholesterol levels can lead to cardiovascular disease.
However, not all cholesterol is dangerous.
There are two types of cholesterol: "bad cholesterol" - lipoproteins with low density (LDL-C) and "good cholesterol" - lipoproteins with high density (HDL-C). Combined, they form the total cholesterol - TC.
HDL-C (good cholesterol) - transports fat from the body to the liver for further processing and elimination from the body. Higher levels of HDL-C remove plaques from the walls of blood vessels.
LDL-cholesterol transfers the liver-produced and fat-absorbed fats to the body. High levels of bad cholesterol lead to the buildup of fatty deposits (plaques) on the walls of blood vessels. They constrict the blood vessels and can even completely block them.
High LDL-cholesterol levels are often accompanied by elevated triglycerides (also a type of fat). The large amount of triglycerides in the blood is mainly due to an unhealthy diet - the consumption of a lot of saturated fat and the excessive use of alcohol.
Elevated serum cholesterol levels are known to be associated with a high risk of death from ischemic heart disease (CHD). Studies have shown that with every 10% reduction in cholesterol levels, CHD mortality decreases by 18% and overall mortality by 10%.
Management of cholesterol levels
To better manage blood cholesterol levels, the following are needed:
- healthy eating;
- reduction of alcohol consumption;
- maintaining weight in health standards;
- monitoring blood pressure values;
- regular motor activity.
The effects and tolerance of policosanol have been documented in over 30 000 patients in over 60 clinical tests.
Surveys conducted for a 6-8 weeks period on patients with hypocholesterolemia type 2 show that 5-10mg policosanol daily can lower the combined cholesterol with 13-16% and the "bad" cholesterol with 18-22%.
Other surveys show that by increasing the policosanol intake to 20mg a day can lower cholesterol to up to 30%.
Long term surveys, conducted for a period of 1-2 years show that by consuming 5-10mg policosanol a day can lower the "bad" cholesterol for the whole period and optimal results are reached by week 6-8.
Advantages of policosanol
- it does not have a rebound effect after the treatment is stopped
- has very similar effect to medicaments such as statins and fibrates
- policosanol is proved to be absolutely harmful even with long term use. No negative side effects have been reported.